Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Lucketts Favorites: Blue Rocking Chair

When I was getting ready for Lucketts, a lot of my friends asked me which pieces were my favorite projects. So, I thought I'd do a few posts about my favorites.


I bought this rocking chair at the last minute, about a week before the market. It had a cane back and cane bottom. The cane bottom looked new, but the back looked terrible. I haven't yet learned how to weave cane furniture, so I decided to reupholster this chair. And I was in such a rush to finish projects that I forgot to take a before picture. Bummer.

Using spray primer, I primed it and painted it with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Provence. I mostly primed it because I didn't know what color I wanted to paint it, but I'm glad I did because I didn't want any of the black paint to show through anyway. After the paint dried, I went over it with a coat of wax.

I was actually planning to put different fabric on it, but at the last second I realized how gorgeous the retro flowered fabric looked with the blue, so I decided to use that instead. Once I had upholstered the front and back, I had to figure out what kind of trim to use. I wasn't really wanting to sew double-welt cord, so I looked around my house to see what I had. That's when I saw my big bag of cord that I would ordinarily use to sew double weight cord. The oatmeal color looked perfect against the fabric, so I doubled it up and attached it.

I am so in love with this color fabric combo to the point where I might actually do our unfinished dining chairs in this style. I sold it to a lady who has two little boys and was decorating a nursery for her little girl on the way. I love that this chair will look adorable in a nursery but be able to grow with the little girl too.

So that's my favorite. I'll be back later this week with more info.

P.S. Tonight I'm going to see a lecture by Jonathan Adler at the Corcoran with some blogger friends and I'm so pumped. Anyone else in DC going?

Linked to: Primitive and Proper, The Shabby Creek Cottage, Domestically Speaking, Miss Mustard Seed, Redoux, Shabby Nest, Making Lemonade

5 comments:

  1. Came here from the Old Lucketts store blog. Congrats on the great show at the market. Fellow NoVa blogger. I was there on Sunday. Remember seeing the green chest and those herringbone tables. You are doing a great job with the blog and all the projects.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job on the rocking chair. I think I prefer the upholstered seat and back over the cane. Good color coordination of the fabric and paint.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've got a similar chair to redo. How did you make the forms to wrap the new upholstery around?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that I probably used 2" foam on the bottom and 1" foam on the top, both with a layer or two of batting on it. The top probably has a couple of layers of batting on the back too (opposite side of the upholstery webbing). Most of the time I put the foam up to the chair and then trace around the opposite open side with a Sharpie. I try to cut a little bit larger than my trace line -- it's easier to cut down the foam than it is to cut a new piece.

      If you're looking for good tutorials, I suggest checking out this tutorial on backs from Design Sponge: http://www.designsponge.com/2011/12/upholstery-basics-picture-perfect-backs.html
      And this blog post from Miss Mustard Seed: http://missmustardseed.com/2012/02/best-of-mms-french-chair-makeover-tutorial/

      Good luck with the redo!

      Delete
  4. I would love to see the back. Fantastic job.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment! I try and answer any questions directly in the comment section, so check back for my answer later.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...