Thursday, February 9, 2012

Street Rocker


Good morning lovelies, Happy Thursday! I’m quite disappointed that I won’t be able to show you another successfully completed project today. My desk chair is still very much a work in progress. I’m hoping to finish sanding it tonight and start staining on Saturday. If I keep up the good work, I should have something to show you by this time next week. The chilly weather and my insistence on using oil-based stain may pose a problem. We shall see.

Still, my morning is off to a great start. Why, you ask? Well, for starters I made a delicious smoothie for breakfast. Yum!


But most importantly, I snagged this beautiful antique rocking chair from my neighbors' curb!


Some people get their morning kicks by getting in a run before work, some people consider the morning a success when they have time to read the paper and enjoy a cup of coffee, and some might even complete a Sudoku or crossword puzzle before they head into the office. But I...well, I consider the morning a success when I acquire a new project before 9 am and manage to blog about it.

I’m sure my roommates are 1) just finding out about this now, 2) not remotely surprised because they saw the chair on the curb when they all left the house before I did, and 3) wondering where this will fall in my getting-to-be-quite-lengthy list of furniture projects. But I just couldn’t resist. Finding furniture on a curb for me is like finding a little lost puppy. I want to find it an owner asap before it gets taken to the dumpster…or something like that. And if I can nurture it and provide it a good home myself, even better.


My neighbors actually had two very nice chairs out last night that I considered snagging, but I would’ve had to reupholster them completely, and let’s be honest, that type of a job is beyond my realm of expertise at the moment. This rocker, however, is a bit less of a commitment. It has a wood frame, a pretty basic upholstered front and seat, and it won’t involve complicated sewing and cording and such. It does have coils in the seat, but I think I’m ready for them. Baby steps.

I hope to be back tomorrow with more pictures of my works in progress. But if you don’t hear from me, it’s because I’m working tirelessly on my other chair that I am determined to finish over the next week. Wish me luck! And if I don't talk to you, have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for your comment! I try and answer any questions directly in the comment section, so check back for my answer later.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...