Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Inspiration for my Sweet Clover Space

My first go-round selling furniture in the Sweet Clover barn was decent, but I'll be honest, I had no clue what I was doing.


Considering I'm in design school, this concerns me a little. I should be able to put together a cohesive space easily, right? I didn't mind how I arranged the space, but it had a bit of an identity crisis. Part of my challenge is that I don't assemble a master plan. I don't pick a color palette, I don't select a style. I pick what I love, and I let the piece decide what it wants to be. That's an OK strategy to a certain extent, but I need to rein things in a little. I love to mix styles, but there still needs to be something cohesive.

One thing that I'm finding incredibly challenging about selling my own vision is that I have to create something that is marketable while staying true to my design. Given that I am learning about different design styles and constantly picking furniture, I love to experiment with different styles, and I'm willing to take risks that a lot of people don't want to take in their own homes. I need to remember that my customers might not always want to take those risks. I also need to keep in mind the general aesthetic of Sweet Clover, while setting myself apart and maintaining my colorful, playful vibe. I've decided that I should use my own bedroom for inspiration since it's a total reflection of my personal style, and I think that it fits a little better with the Sweet Clover look than what I put together last month.



Here are some of the other images I'm using as inspiration.

Via Caitlin Wilson 
Ana Spiro Via Apartment Therapy
Emily Hart via Because It's Awesome

Emily Henderson via Design Love Fest

Charmean Neithart via Houzz
Todd Kelin via House Beautiful
What do you think? Would you buy something out of a booth inspired by these spaces?

3 comments:

  1. Yes!! Mint walls will sell anything. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find that to be the hardest part: what's sellable vs what I love! It's always in the back of my mind when I choose paint colors. I don't want to play it safe all the time either though. I love your inspiration photos! July is going to rock!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Most definitely! You should add an area rug or window treatments to make the space more inviting. That way the furniture might seem more at home. Keep at it, I love where you are going with this!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment! I try and answer any questions directly in the comment section, so check back for my answer later.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...