Among the things I learned in 2012, those that I think made the most difference have been my ability to take more pride in my accomplishments and my attempts to carry myself with a greater spirit of gratitude and optimism. So, in that spirit, I decided to make three (grammatically incorrect) lists to round out the year and start 2013.
Things I am Proud of in 2012
1) Taking a chance on my furniture hobby and selling it at the Lucketts Spring Market.
2) Applying to, starting, and finishing my first semester of interior design school (and all the many mini accomplishments involving that along the way).
3) Making a conscious effort to be happier in my everyday life.
4) My brother graduating from high school.
5) My sister graduating from college.
6) The boy getting a new job (and multiple offers!).
Things I am thankful for in 2012
1) A job that affords me the flexibility of pursuing interior design without going totally broke.
2) The boy, who has been incredibly encouraging and supportive in my not-totally-practical pursuit of happiness.
4) Roommates who didn't blow a gasket when our house was turned upside down during my not-so-organized prep for the Lucketts Market.
5) My ability to provide support and strength to the boy when we lost his wonderful grandfather this summer.
6) Parents who think that having three children with arts degrees is more nifty than terrifying (or at least hide their fear well).
7) That my parents got to get the new basement they've been dreaming of for years and years.
8) A sister who works a J.Crew.
9) Many other things that I am forgetting to mention.
Things I am looking forward to in 2013
1) Completing more interior design school.
2) Taking a "How to Start a Business" class at the local community college.
2) Dedicating more time to my blog and furniture/design business.
3) Exploring the idea of doing the Lucketts Market again, and trying to figure out a way to make it happen without turning our house/my life into a disaster (and selling as much as possible!).
4) Helping my brother redesign his bedroom.
5) More of my own house-beautifying projects.
6) Reading the design books I got for Christmas and adding to my collection.
7) At least two weddings to attend.
8) Family vacations.
9) Making a new Christmas Eve tradition (per my Grandma's request).
10) Visiting my sister's new(ish) place in Brooklyn.
11) Going to the Lumineers and Mumford and Sons concerts with the boy.
...and many, many more things that I don't even know about right now.
What are you proud of and thankful for in 2012? What are you looking forward to in 2013?