Thursday, January 17, 2013

No Shop January 2013 Update

Earlier this month, I declared that I would be celebrating my second annual No Shop January. Here's a little update on how I'm doing.

Successes
  • I went shopping with the boy last week and managed to resist the temptation of buying stuff that was super on sale at J.Crew.
  • I've taken multiple trips to Target without buying random crap. 
  • I completed a couple projects without buying any new materials. 
  • I decided I don't need to buy another pretty calendar. 
  • I washed all of my tights so that they are ready to wear again (small victory!).

Failures (kind of)
  • I ordered Dwell magazine through a Daily Candy deal. Magazines are something that I choose to invest in since I need so much inspiration for school and images for projects. Most of the magazines I get right now lean traditional/new-traditional, and even though Dwell isn't really my style, I decided I need to diversify my inspiration sources with something more modern. So I'm OK with that $12 purchase. Plus, if I buy even three of any specific magazine off the rack in a year, I end up spending more than the subscription price, so it's worth buying the subscription if I think I'm going to do that anyway. 
  • I have not been stellar at planning my meals, so I've spent more than I intended on eating out a couple times. Still, I haven't been eating out as often as I normally do. 

Temptations

One of the reason I did No Shop January again was not just to save money, but also to conduct a little exercise in impulse control. Naturally, I've been tempted to purchase a few things during the month. I haven't pulled the trigger on any of these, but I am do so after sleeping on them for a while (another two weeks maybe?). 

Target Horse. This little guy is part of Target's great Modern Cottage Home Decor Collection, which I initially spotted on Sanity Fair, and later saw in store. He would look wonderful on my new bookshelf in our living room. Right now I have a white reindeer on there and he looks cool, but he's really only socially acceptable for the next few weeks. This horse would make a great replacement.
Object: Target Horse Figural
Target via Pinterest
Kate Spade's new book, Things We Love: Twenty Years of Inspiration, Intriguing Bits and Other Curiosities. Why am I such a sucker for big beautiful design books? I could spend hours pouring over them. And I LOVE how stacks of design books love sitting on a coffee table, although I don't think that's very practical because I wouldn't want anyone putting their sweaty drinks on them, even with a coaster. But still. I don't really carry Kate Spade's handbags, but I love her classic yet contemporary, playful yet sophisticated aesthetic. And as I mentioned last week, I love her jewelry. I want to see what she loves!

Book: Kate Spade New York: Things We Love
Amazon.com via Pinterest
Garden Stool. We have this funny little space next to a chair in our living room which doesn't functionally need a table next to it, but it just looks weird and empty. Also, we need more items to introduce our green and plum color scheme throughout the room. They're on sale at World Market right now, and I'm seriously tempted to grab one while it's so affordable. Now that I look at it I'm not sure that I am totally in love with the shape. See--this exercise in impulse control is working!

Furniture: World Market Garden Stool
Cost Plus World Market via Pinterest
Harper's Bazarre, Vogue, and Architectural Digest. I already receive at least 5 magazines every month, and I feel like I'm forgetting one. I just ordered Dwell. I want more. What is wrong with me? I've followed all these publications on Pinterest in hopes that seeing their pins will satisfy my desire to read the entire publication. 

So that's how I'm doing. The real verdict will be how much lower my credit card bill is than it has been over the past few months. How's your No Shop January going?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for your comment! I try and answer any questions directly in the comment section, so check back for my answer later.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...