Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Room Inspiration: Things We Love

Kate Spade's new book, Things We Love, is at the top of my wish list. And I have to be honest, I'm totally judging a book by its cover in this case. I LOVE this cover. The colors are amazing. So amazing that I decided to create a mood board inspired by the cover art.
Midtown Taxi Throw Pillow | Empire State Building Pillow Cover | Green Ruffle Pillow | Pink Lawrence Throw | Roy Lichtenstein Kiss II Print | Ektorp Sofa |  Perch Yellow Table Lamp | Gold Pig Bookends | Ceramic Telephone Smartphone Dock | Beagle Ceramic Decorative Plate | Small Ceramic Lattice Canister | Fuchsia Nina Chair | Between a Rock Gold Lamp Base | Vintage Globe | Brass Urchin | Smart Round Marble Top Coffee Table | Stockholm Rand Rug | Background Color: Benjamin Moore Jamaican Aqua
As you can see, the primary inspiration for this space is the book cover's color palette. I used a vibrant Jamaican Aqua by Benjamin Moore for the walls, and incorporated black and white, yellow, pink, red, green, and gold throughout the space. The black and white striped Ikea Stockholm Rand rug pulls the black and white stripes off the couch in the cover and places them on the floor, while the Smart Round Marble Top coffee table from CB2 breaks up the stripes and subtly varies the texture in the space.

The Midtown Taxi throw pillow from Land of Nod and the Empire State Building pillow (which I own) from NestaHome via Etsy celebrate kate spade's frequent homage to New York City. The Green Ruffle pillow adds some femininity to the otherwise graphic collection of pillows, and the pink Lawrence throw from Zara Home helps incorporate some pink into the sofa area. The Ikea Ektorp sofa is the item least inspired by the kate spade image, but I decided to pick a comfortable, practical piece that would blend easily in this room rather than something too sculptural and uncomfortable (after all, I want you to be able to recreate this in your own home if you want!). To compensate for the less structured sofa, I incorporated a fuchsia tufted Nina Chair from Cost Plus World Market. It adds the feminine sculptural qualities of the couch in the cover photo, while staying fresh and modern in a bright color.

Both lamps are quite sculptural--the yellow Perch Table Lamp is from West Elm and the gold Between a Rock Lamp is Land of Nod. Technically Land of Nod is Crate and Barrel's store geared towards children's furnishings, but as you can tell from this room, it has awesome accessories that are totally adult-worthy.

The Kiss II print by Roy Lichtenstein from Art.com celebrates kate spade's pop-art inspired items (like this iPhone cover and this tote bag). The Vintage Globe is from Haven Vintage via Etsy, and there are many others like it on Etsy. The Brass Urchin piece is part of the Nate Berkus collection for Target, which appears to be on the out, so pick one up while you still can!

In addition to the globe, the Jonathan Adler Ceramic Smartphone Dock takes a more literal inspiration from the cover, albeit updated for modern technology. Honestly, I would be totally happy just letting that sit on a bookshelf sans smartphone. The black and white Ceramic Lattice Canister is another affordable accessory from Target's Modern Cottage Collection, and links the black and white in the rug to another spot in the space. The Ceramic Beagle decorative plate is my favorite of the C.Wonder decorative animal plates (you should seriously check out the rest of them) and helps bring in a little more red to the space. The Gold Pig Bookends from CB2 add a sense of playfulness and whimsy that kate spade's collections are known for.

Have you had a chance to pick up Things We Love? Is it worth the price? I am trying quite hard to get through some of my other design books that I got for Christmas before I pick this one up, but the temptation is wearing on me!



Disclosure: This post contains some affiliate marketing links, which means I get paid commission on sales or click-throughs of those products I write about. My editorial content is not influenced by advertisers or affiliate partnerships. I use a 3rd party to develop these partnerships.

2 comments:

  1. What program do you use to create your mood boards?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use Photoshop Elements to create my mood boards, collections of items, and anything else that requires graphic work, really. I learned Photoshop in college and am comfortable with it, so that's my program of choice. I like Elements because it's really affordable and pretty powerful. I know a lot of people who like to use web-based programs like Polyvore, and they look great too.

      Delete

Thanks so much for your comment! I try and answer any questions directly in the comment section, so check back for my answer later.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...